Monday, December 5, 2011

iNsTiTuTiOnAL RoTaTiOn

Posted by Melanie at Monday, December 05, 2011

I am currently on my institutional rotation at UMHHC with Ms. Kathy Kinsey.

This is a very diverse rotation spent in different areas on the hospital.

My first week was spent designing a CE program for pharmacy technicians on aseptic technique and preventing hospital acquired infections with my fellow fourth years (there are four of us). We designed a Powerpoint presentation and recorded some skits showing improper technique and then included videos illustrating proper technique.

The second week was spent on the 6th floor satellite pharmacy. Here, I got to verify orders, serve as the final check for products being dispensed, draw up oral liquids, go on cart fill runs with the technicians, and calculate drug desensitization dilutions.

This week, I am in IDS - the Investigational Drug Services department. Today I completed an IDS training module, learned about eResearch (the website where drug protocols are submitted for approval), read an article about the development and funding on an IDS service (published in AJHP in 1987 by UMMC when the IDS service was just beginning), and learned about Dispensing Guidelines. One of my assignments this week is to develop a Dispensing Guideline for one of the new studies. Over the course of the week, I will learn about IDS and its functions.

Next week I will be in the clean room.

In addition to these activities, I will give a patient case presentation and meet with various administrators throughout the course of the rotation to learn more about their roles and responsibilities.

No comments: