Thursday, August 18, 2011

Almost done with 3 weeks!

Posted by Elizabeth Kelly at Thursday, August 18, 2011

So I am now pretty much done with my 3rd week of Peds ID. And I have learned ALOT. I have gotten to see some pretty interesting cases such as meningitis, a child with mystery rashes, appendicitis, infection post motor vehicle accident, etc. etc. I have learned how to work up these patients so much more efficiently than I ever thought I would be able to. This has definitely been a great start to rotations. I highly recommend taking Dr. Klein's rotation because not only do you get to see many different cases, but we actually get to use our knowledge! Dr. Klein has us doing these topic discussions twice a week and they may be a slight pain in the butt to prepare, but how much I learn by presenting them to her twice a week is ridiculous. I did one on bacterial meningitis earlier this week and the very next day we have a kid on service with meningitis. I was all over that one!
I haven't really made any big recommendations. I almost did once with making a drug switch but the doctors had already done it before me. But that's ok, because as long as the patient gets appropriate treatment is most important. I have answered some questions right that the medical fellows didn't know the answer to so that makes me feel pretty good! Anyways... this is probably my last post for this rotation... will be back with oncology with Dr. Kraft next month!

No comments: