Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Rotation 5: Drug Info – Michigan House, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI

Posted by Jennifer at Tuesday, April 29, 2014


My fifth rotation brought me back to Ann Arbor for a drug information rotation at the University of Michigan Health System Michigan House.  U of M – affiliated healthcare professionals may call, page, or email questions to the drug information department.  Another classmate was on this rotation with me, so we would take turns answering drug questions.  One of us would answer questions in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I learned about many new drug information resources and became more adept in navigating old ones. 
I received a variety of questions, some of which involved questions about the administration of medications through a gastric or jejunal tube, if a refrigerated medication was still usable even though a refrigerator went out of range, if a medication contained preservatives, recipes for compounding, if titration was needed when switching from one medication to another, and possible side effects of herbal medications. Researching the answers to these questions required utilization of databases, websites, books, and sometimes calling the manufacturer of a specific drug product.  Then, I would discuss my findings with a pharmacist before responding to the healthcare professional who had asked the question. I actually worked with four different pharmacists while at Michigan House.  I had a main preceptor and three other pharmacists who I worked with on projects, and they were all wonderful to work with.
When I was not answering questions, I worked on several projects.  I created two drug monographs for presentation to the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and wrote a newsletter article for Pharmacy for UM.   I was fortunate to be able to attend several different meetings, including a P&T Committee meeting and a pain management committee meeting. 
Overall, this rotation helped me to become more competent in navigating through the different drug references, and this applies to any area of pharmacy!

No comments: