Saturday, October 12, 2013

Rotation 2 – From the Largest Retail Chain to the Smallest Independent Community Pharmacy

Posted by Unknown at Saturday, October 12, 2013


After getting my feet wet in my Drug Information rotation 1, I took my newfound confidence to Grass Lake Michigan.  Turns out I had a good idea where it was as I recently raced a triathlon there the week before.  But I had no idea there was a pharmacy in Grass Lake and I almost missed it even with my phone telling me where to go. 
Upon my first day, I was warmly greeted by some of the nicest staff I have had the pleasure of working with.  My retail experience has been with Meijer for the past 5 years where on a daily basis we would complain about our state of the art computer system which seemed to crash all too often.  At Grass Lake it felt as if I had gone back in time nearly three-four years as many of their records were still paper and without a barcoding system which I had become all too dependent on at Meijer.  While they may not have had the multi-million dollar systems, they made up for it in patient care.
 
After the first week I already began to recognize and know many of the patients coming through the door.  I had the opportunity to provide MTM services, participate in the final check and essentially run the pharmacy for lack of a better example.  A truly amazing community experience in addition to the managerial aspect behind the scenes which I had never seen as a tech or intern at Meijer.

Once it was all over and my gas bill of travel had taken its toll, I left with a new appreciation of the challenges facing independent pharmacies as well as the incredible, individualized patient care that one is able to provide in a small town independent pharmacy setting.  However, just as fast as it started, rotation 2 was over and I was headed 180 degrees in the other direction starting my first day in the Sparrow ICU.

No comments: