Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Drug/P4 Year Information Rotation

Posted by Unknown at Wednesday, September 25, 2013



While the first three years of pharmacy education did not necessarily fly by, P4 year is certainly making up for the first three (evident by my late posting of my blogs).  You blink and you’re already walking into rotation 3 or 4. 

My P4 year started off with a Drug Information rotation through Sparrow Hospital in Lansing.  I am very fond of the Lansing area as I did my undergraduate work at the Michigan State University and currently live there (when not in school) with my wife who is currently a medical resident at Sparrow as well.  Seems like last week that I was trying to muster up the courage to walk into my first day of rotations with absolutely no idea what to expect.  I had a good idea I had left the tests and IRATs behind but you can never be too sure with U of M.  Every rotation has a steep learning curve at the beginning, whether it is getting accustomed to the computer system or fitting into the pharmacy and health care culture of the location.  The group of clinical pharmacists I got to work with was a great, close nit group eating lunch together almost every day.  While each day was filled with a few drug information questions, I got to spend a lot of time working in the offices of the other clinical staff, observing their role in patient care and their interactions with the other members of the healthcare team.  While the drug information part of my drug information rotation was a little light, the difference was made up with projects and presentations which really increased and improved my presenting skills.  Mainly out of necessity when you are presenting to a room of some of the most important decision makers in the hospital at a P&T committee meeting.  While my goal is to end up at Sparrow eventually, this first rotation was a great eye opener to the culture of Sparrow, the pharmacist workflow which I will address in my rotation 3 blog, and the opportunities for pharmacist advancement and services to be offered.  Each rotation teaches you something different, regardless of how “interesting” it was at the time or how prepared you feel leaving.  Thankfully, I had another taste of Sparrow on rotation 3 in the critical care unit.  But I won’t spoil that story just yet.

Todd

No comments: