Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Canton Meijer Pharmacy = Counseling!!!

Posted by Anna at Tuesday, September 04, 2012



My third rotation was at Meijer Pharmacy in Canton, MI. Having had about two years of retail pharmacy experience, working in the community pharmacy setting for five weeks was definitely a nice break after two very unique rotations.
                            
The primary goal of this rotation was spelled out by my preceptor on the first day: maximize patient interaction. This meant that when on-site, I was the initial resource for any pharmacy-related questions from patients, any new medication counseling, and all over-the-counter medication recommendations. The site was a very busy pharmacy, functioning with one to two pharmacists and four to five technicians at any given time. I was not treated as “free labor,” and I was not expected to perform pharmacy technician activities. Essentially, I was a supplemental pharmacist, which provided the opportunity to review and reinforce much of my therapeutic and pharmacy law knowledge. This rotation also required little off-site preparation, leaving more time at home to work on other projects and deadlines.

Overall, I would highly recommend this community rotation site. The pharmacists were incredibly welcoming and gave me the freedom to step out and apply my knowledge. The pharmacy technicians were efficient and self-sufficient, and they were quick to call for me me whenever a patient had a question or needed additional counseling. It was a great work environment, and I could not have asked for a better community experience.

My next rotation will be quite a change from the hustle and bustle of a large retail setting: I will be working primarily from home for the next five weeks completing a drug information rotation with Lexicomp!

No comments: