Saturday, May 26, 2012

Meetings, meetings everyday...

Posted by mariarx at Saturday, May 26, 2012

Week one of rotation one is done. Woo!

If I've learned one thing in my first week on the UMHHC Administration rotation, it is how to eat on the go. Running around the hospital from 0800 - 1700 with no break on day 1 was pretty overwhelming. Nothing like learning to swim by being thrown right in the pool. Besides the long day, I got the opportunity to see a full range of administrative task meetings - RFP presentations, team meetings, pharmacy practice rollout and planning.  My second trial by fire happened on days 2-4 since my preceptor, Dr. Brummond, was in the land of Badgers and I was braving meetings on my own. Most meetings have consisted of taking notes (about medication safety, pharmacy operations, IT, drug shortages, Joint Commission) and then looking up all the terms that I'm not familiar with.

Besides meetings with my preceptor, other administrators, and various pharmacy teams; this rotation includes a 5-week (or more) long project. Thanks to fellow blogger, Andre Harvin, the admin team has a database of over 6.5 million points about medication dispensing in the hospital. My job will be to compile a workload analysis; one of many projects that will be done with the data. The past day has been spent fiddling around with Microsoft Access and googling tutorials. Thank the internet for "Access for Dummies." Also, it stinks that Access isn't available on macs. Boo!

I hope to also use the next 4 weeks to work on my leadership skills, hone in what I need to get done for residency applications, and maybe even create a hospital glossary. I think that's all I have for now.... I'm sure the next 4 weeks will be a great roller coaster, and I'll keep everyone posted!

No comments: