Sunday, January 29, 2012

Amb Care in 3 different clinics

Posted by Amanda at Sunday, January 29, 2012

I finished my ambulatory care rotation this past week. For amb care you have clinic visits with patients. So you them one on one and they come in and you talk with them for about 30 minutes regarding their disease. The main diseases we target are diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia. I had my amb care in three different clinics: chelsea, livonia, and saline. I was able to see many different patient populations. I also saw many different patients from the extremely motivated to the less motivated.

During the visits I would talk to them about how their medications are working, if they are having any side effects, and if they have missed any doses. Then we would talk about either their blood sugar readings, blood pressure readings, or both. We would then discuss if they are where we want them to be. If they aren't then we would talk about diet, exercise, and medication changes. All the patients were very sweet and they were open about their lives. They were very welcoming to students.

As a pharmacist in amb care we are able to prescribe any of the medications that can be used in diabetes, hypertension, or hyperlipidemia. Also I would have to take the patient's blood pressure. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

On my last day in Livonia, I experienced my first foot exam. I performed two foot exams. It was an interesting experience.

I liked working in amb care and I learned a lot from this rotation. But I don't think amb care is the place for me.

No comments: