Thursday, July 28, 2011

Drug Information

Posted by April at Thursday, July 28, 2011

My first rotation was drug information. I worked with a pharmacist from the drug interactions group at Lexicomp. I enjoyed this rotation for several reasons.

1. I was able to work from home. The majority of my time was spent researching and reading articles regarding drug interactions. When I needed to communicate with my preceptor I could email or bring something up during one of our two weekly meetings.

2. Since this is a medical writing rotation, I drafted the drug interaction monographs that appear when an interaction is put into the software. I thought this was good practice at translating what was in a journal article and bringing out the major points.

3. I also led a journal club discussion. I picked out the article and made a handout for the discussion. It was a good opportunity to present and review an article and get feedback.

4. This rotation has a broad therapeutic scope. Drug interactions are a pretty broad subject in and of itself, so this makes sense. But I appreciated this aspect because it was a good review from tyrosine kinase inhibitors to HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors.

Overall, I recommend this rotation because it was not what I pictured a drug information rotation to be. I will definitely be able to apply all my knowledge to future rotations! Next rotation…ambulatory care!

No comments: