Friday, August 28, 2009

I have a question...

Posted by Shannon Hough at Friday, August 28, 2009

This summer came and went so quickly! I can’t believe we’re already P-4s and on our clinical rotations. My first rotation is at the University of Michigan Drug Information Service (DI). DI recently moved off-site, and is now in an office building with great views and parking. I am commuting from off-campus this year, and have been enjoying the scenery of August in Michigan.

At the DI center, pharmacists answer questions from callers, as well as work on many other projects related to pharmacy operations within University of Michigan Hospitals and Health System (UMHHS). As part of my DI rotation, I spend a portion of each day answering phone calls, learning about drug information resources, and working on our other assignments/projects. It seems like no two phone calls are alike, or even similar, so I'm really learning how to use our resources. The questions can vary from a health care provider asking about an off-label use for a particular drug, to a layperson calling to ask about using an herbal product safely.

One of DI's roles is to serve as an advisory agency for UMHHS' Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) committee. (The P&T committee decides what medications will be included in a hospital or health system's formulary. A formulary is the list of prescription medications that a drug plan will pay for.)

A major project I was involved in at DI was gathering information about a drug to determine whether it should be added to UMHHS' formulary. Our reports soon will be reviewed by the P&T committee. Exciting stuff, being involved in recommending a drug for one the top health systems in the country!

DI was a great first rotation. I’ve definitely refreshed my drug information knowledge, and have become reacquainted with drug information resources that I'm certain will help me in my future rotations.

Cheers!

No comments: