Sunday, August 19, 2012

A little behind... Rotation 2...

Posted by Krystal Sheerer at Sunday, August 19, 2012



I am a little behind on posting this blog… It is amazing how fast time goes by.

Rotation 2 has come and gone.

I was in Indianapolis for my drug information rotation (rotation 2). The first week of rotation was an adjustment. I went from my community rotation where I was on my feet all day… to sitting in a cubical all day. I spent my five weeks evaluating literature and writing interaction monographs. A typical day consisted of reading and evaluating literature in the morning followed by meeting with my preceptor or the other pharmacist in the afternoon to summarize the findings and discuss the details of the study (the pros, the cons, and the clinical relevance). After our discussion, I revised or added to interaction monographs. I also was assigned a presentation for the last week of rotation on a topic of my choice. Someone near and dear to me has had MS for several years and will be starting treatment soon. Therefore, I decided I wanted to research and compare the various first line treatment options for MS and present the findings. I was not familiar with all the first line treatment options available for MS so I thought this topic would not only be interesting but it would help me to better answer some of their questions surrounding the available treatments. The presentation went well and I was able to gather feedback that will help me for my senior seminar presentation.

Additionally, I was able to stay with my Aunt and Uncle and their four kids (10 year old boy and 8 year old triplets) which made the adjustment a little easier.  Most of my work was completed on site; therefore, I was able to come home every night and play with my cousins. I had a blast with them! We went to on bike rides, walks with the dogs, visited the parks, and visited the zoo. I definitely miss my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins!

Overall, I enjoyed my time down in Indianapolis and would recommend this rotation. Due to confidentiality, I cannot post the name of the company. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to know more about what I did and where I was at.

No comments: