Friday, October 21, 2011

aDmIn RoTaTiOn

Posted by Melanie at Friday, October 21, 2011

Today marks the last day of my administration rotation at UMHHC with Dr. Jim Stevenson and Dr. John Clark. I have to say this month has really flown by. My days were filled with meetings and project work. I definitely learned a lot and had great mentors to learn from.

I was able to attend the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC) meeting where I learned how drugs are put into different tiers for the employee drug plan. I also saw a Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) Committee meeting where drugs are selected for the formulary in the hospital. I was even in attendance for a meeting with the Provost where Dr. Stevenson gave a presentation on 340b, a program the hospital qualifies for to receive medications at a discounted rate.

I completed several projects during this past month. These projects ranged from quality improvement to medication safety. I also learned how to analyze numbers based upon drug cost to the hospital and insurance reimbursement to justify an additional full-time equivalent (FTE). I learned about Medicare Part D and how a patient would move in and out of the doughnut hole and into catastrophic coverage.

Did you know that in 2011 a patient will only pay 50% of the drug cost for eligible brand-name drugs while in the doughnut hole and the manufacturer will pick up the other 50%? As part of the federal health care reform, discounts for patients will continue to increase through 2020. The following figure illustrates a Medicare Part D plan taken from Novartis Oncology:









Administration definitely gives a different perspective on pharmacy. I encourage every pharmacy student to spend at least one day shadowing a pharmacist in administration so that this viewpoint can be observed. It gives you an appreciation for the work that goes into operating and maintaining a pharmacy service. I am very glad I had this experience.


















No comments: