Saturday, October 12, 2013

Rotation 2 – From the Largest Retail Chain to the Smallest Independent Community Pharmacy

Posted by Todd Kennedy at Saturday, October 12, 2013


After getting my feet wet in my Drug Information rotation 1, I took my newfound confidence to Grass Lake Michigan.  Turns out I had a good idea where it was as I recently raced a triathlon there the week before.  But I had no idea there was a pharmacy in Grass Lake and I almost missed it even with my phone telling me where to go. 
Upon my first day, I was warmly greeted by some of the nicest staff I have had the pleasure of working with.  My retail experience has been with Meijer for the past 5 years where on a daily basis we would complain about our state of the art computer system which seemed to crash all too often.  At Grass Lake it felt as if I had gone back in time nearly three-four years as many of their records were still paper and without a barcoding system which I had become all too dependent on at Meijer.  While they may not have had the multi-million dollar systems, they made up for it in patient care.
 
After the first week I already began to recognize and know many of the patients coming through the door.  I had the opportunity to provide MTM services, participate in the final check and essentially run the pharmacy for lack of a better example.  A truly amazing community experience in addition to the managerial aspect behind the scenes which I had never seen as a tech or intern at Meijer.

Once it was all over and my gas bill of travel had taken its toll, I left with a new appreciation of the challenges facing independent pharmacies as well as the incredible, individualized patient care that one is able to provide in a small town independent pharmacy setting.  However, just as fast as it started, rotation 2 was over and I was headed 180 degrees in the other direction starting my first day in the Sparrow ICU.

No comments: