Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A month away from the "lower 48"

Posted by Akin at Tuesday, April 27, 2010




Mary and I were two of five UM students who decided to brave the wild frontier this April and head to the Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Here are some of our experiences:

In the hospital

Akin: I learned a great deal during my inpatient cardiology rotation. I enjoyed that the emphasis was on 'quality over quantity'. Some days we would work up no more than 2 or 3 patients. This gave us the opportunity to really go in to depth about the therapeutic regimen of a patient and to review entire disease states and guidelines.

Mary: This rotation has been one of the most memorable experiences I have had in pharmacy school; and I am sad knowing that this is our last week here. Our preceptor, Dr. Bert Iaderosa, is very knowledgeable and well-versed in the cardiology guidelines at the hospital. He challenges us to not only master the cardiology guidelines, but to constantly apply ourselves as critically-thinking pharmacists in the clinical setting. He also understands that the students come to this rotation not only to learn about cardiology, but to experience "the essence of Alaska" as well. With Dr. Iaderosa's advice on all sorts of fun activities to do and places to go, we were able to take advantage of our time here in Alaska.

A memorable moment outside of the hospital

Mary: I have so many memorable moments. One that comes to mind is cross-country skiing at Hilltop. It was the first time cross-country skiing for all of us, so we were all pretty bruised up and exhausted at the end of the day. But the views at various points of the hill and trying something completely new was well worth it.

Akin: I had never done any type of skiing before, but when cross-country skiing for the first time I got the hang of it pretty quickly on the groomed trails. Feeling confident, a week later I decided to try back-country skiing where everything is completely ungroomed and there are no trails. I fell so many times that the binding connecting my boot to the ski detached and got clogged with ice and snow. I had to march 2 miles back to the base in waist high snow carrying the skis in my arms. I was also only in sweat pants. At the time it wasn't the greatest experience. But now I can look back and laugh. Haha. I was so miserable.



Final words

Akin: I've had adventures both inside and outside of the hospital in Anchorage. Years from now, when I think back to P4 year, there is no doubt that my moments in Alaska will be one of the first things that will come to mind.

Mary: This rotation is an incredible opportunity for students to be adventurous, challenge themselves, and explore Alaska. This experience is truly what you make of it, so take complete advantage and be outdoors as much as you can! :)


No comments: